Re: Sys::Syslog stuff

>(Not so much to support the core distribution, which
>should in principle be changed to not need h2ph, but to support existing
>programs.)

I bet that it's only a very few of these that need inclusion.
Wasn't there at some point a plan to create a sys/socket.ph,
for example, which wasn't really a h2ph translation, but intead
of wrapper around Syslog.pm?

What are the really most commonly used of these?

    sys/socket.h
    sys/errno.h
    sys/syslog.h

    sys/syscall.h

    sys/fcntl.h
    sys/ioctl.h

    sysexits.ph (maybe)

The first pair correspond to module we already ship.  The second
pair do not seem difficult.  The third pair are the supernasty ones
(ioctl, in particular), but fcntl is already done.  Am I missing
any?

The subtle problem with this wrapper idea is that the module
might not have everything the real include file had.  For
example, Fcntl.pm can produce these symbols:

    FAPPEND FASYNC FCREAT FDEFER FDSYNC FD_CLOEXEC FEXCL FLARGEFILE
    FNDELAY FNONBLOCK FRSYNC FSYNC FTRUNC F_ALLOCSP F_ALLOCSP64
    F_COMPAT F_DUP2FD F_DUPFD F_EXLCK F_FREESP F_FREESP64 F_FSYNC
    F_FSYNC64 F_GETFD F_GETFL F_GETLK F_GETLK64 F_GETOWN F_NODNY
    F_POSIX F_RDACC F_RDDNY F_RDLCK F_RWACC F_RWDNY F_SETFD F_SETFL
    F_SETLK F_SETLK64 F_SETLKW F_SETLKW64 F_SETOWN F_SHARE F_SHLCK
    F_UNLCK F_UNSHARE F_WRACC F_WRDNY F_WRLCK LOCK_EX LOCK_NB LOCK_SH
    LOCK_UN O_ACCMODE O_ALIAS O_APPEND O_ASYNC O_BINARY O_CREAT
    O_DEFER O_DSYNC O_EXCL O_EXLOCK O_LARGEFILE O_NDELAY O_NOCTTY
    O_NONBLOCK O_RDONLY O_RDWR O_RSRC O_RSYNC O_SHLOCK O_SYNC O_TEXT
    O_TRUNC O_WRONLY SEEK_CUR SEEK_END SEEK_SET

But on my system, sys/fcntl.h produces these symbols (not counting
the #include of sys/types.h):

    FAPPEND FASYNC FCNTLFLAGS FDEFER FD_CLOEXEC FFLAGS FFSYNC
    FHASLOCK FMARK FMASK FNDELAY FNONBLOCK FNOSYMLINK FREAD FWRITE
    F_DUPFD F_FLOCK F_GETFD F_GETFL F_GETLK F_GETOWN F_POSIX F_RDLCK
    F_SETFD F_SETFL F_SETLK F_SETLKW F_SETOWN F_UNLCK F_WAIT F_WRLCK
    LOCK_EX LOCK_NB LOCK_SH LOCK_UN OFLAGS O_ACCMODE O_APPEND O_ASYNC
    O_CREAT O_EXCL O_EXLOCK O_FSYNC O_NDELAY O_NOCTTY O_NONBLOCK
    O_RDONLY O_RDWR O_SHLOCK O_TRUNC O_WRONLY _SYS_FCNTL_H_

As you see, neither is a proper superset of the other.

--tom

Follow-Ups from:
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi>
Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu>