Re: Sys::Syslog stuff

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Tom Christiansen wrote:

> Andy, is there some reason why not to make this the default, so people
> don't have to read the INSTALL directions and take special steps to make
> it happen?  Couldn't one invert the logic and make not doing so the
> exception instead?

The reason I never made it the default is buried deeply in my vendor_lib
reply, but I'll repeate it here since it's more relevant here:

It used to be that h2ph was simply too unreliable (or, putting it another
way, vendors were too unreliable and kept changing headers in ways that
confused h2ph) so that we couldn't have installperl run h2ph by default
unless we were prepared to deal with torrents of bug reports and
complaints.

I haven't paid attention to this issue in several years, however.
Perhaps Kurt's work on h2ph has brought us to the point where it's worth
reconsidering.  (Not so much to support the core distribution, which
should in principle be changed to not need h2ph, but to support existing
programs.)

    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu

Follow-Ups from:
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>