Re: exists $foo[7] and delete $foo[7]

Larry Wall writes:
|| I wrote:
|| : That's correct, insofar as exists() is an rvalue.
|| I should say, *takes* an rvalue, here and elsewhere.  Durn language neurons...

It is a special sort of an rvalue, though.

It is an rvalue that does not resolve the value associated with
the final key index, but instead determines whether there is
such a value.  Which is why, someday, exists might ensure that
no autovivication occurs during the evaluation of its (already
specially handled) rvalue argument; regardless of whether other
(normally handled) rvalue evaluation contexts ever also avoid
autovivification.

--
John Macdonald     jmm@jmm.pickering.elegant.com